Tuesday, July 19, 2011

IOU...2!

Oh boy I have some blogging catch up to do! I've been absent for the past two training weekends, so here are the updates. I went to visit some friends in Long Island the weekend before last, and knew I couldn't afford to not train, so I brought my bike with me! It was so great to have a change of scenery, and I love working out on vacations because it feels like an adventure and I get to learn more about the area. So I arrived at Montauk by ferry on Friday night, and we drove about 40 minutes home, which seemed around my goal of 50 miles. The next morning I got up and hit the road to ride from East Hampton to Montauk and back.



The first "chunk" of the ride is through a couple of very pretty towns, towns that get busy with cars a lot earlier than I expected! After passing through East Hampton, there are a couple of hills and then a loping strip of beach road that is very flat (a nice break!) that break is needed, however, because the rest of the trip through Montauk is full of hills, including look out spots with beautiful views of the island.


Upon reaching Montauk, I rode through the downtown area, and decided to explore a bit further. a couple miles down the road, I found this beautiful farm


I took a quick break at the harborside while I ate some of my protein bar and gu-ed up for the trip back, and then set off for the return trip. All in all, a successful, lovely ride with hills and flat road.

On a side note, I passed 3 different riders who had all gotten flats, and I realized how badly I need to invest in a spare tube and CO2... Luckily, other more prepared riders had stopped to help them, but I felt like a jerk simply passing them without offering to help. Not to mention, I didn't pack a pump so I hadn't checked my pressure and probably should have gotten a flat myself!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment